Ioptron good service

General astronomy-related discussion (publicly viewable)
bluemax
10+ Years Member

Ioptron good service

Unread post by bluemax »

My Ioptron Skyguider Pro (bought used Cloudy Nights) has performed quite well. However, the clutch to secure the imaging load has been hard to set and release. So, I emailed tech at Ioptron and they sent me a PDF showing how I could dismantle and affect repairs myself. I chose to send it to them to do the work. Here is the note I got back after only five days:

"Hi, Frank,

Your SkyGuider Pro has been serviced. See log:

Clutch condition bad, poor grip. Cleaned grease, reconditioned the surface of steel plate, problem fixed.
Gear meshing bad, adjusted.
iPolar: ok
tested for 4 hrs, good.

The mount is ready to ship. Service fee $60, S&H $9.95. Please include RMA 30133 when pay, $69.95:"

Got it back in two days and the clutch works great! I feel this is very good service at a very low cost. :P
Attachments
IMG_2700.jpg
IMG_2700.jpg (2.44 MiB) Viewed 61351 times
Frank N

Stellarvue 80mm APO, Skyguider Pro, Celestron AVX

"I'm a seeker too. But my dreams aren't like yours. I can't help thinking that somewhere in the universe there has to be something better than man. Has to be"

Taylor in "Planet of the Apes" 1968
mark.m
President

Re: Ioptron good service

Unread post by mark.m »

It's always great to hear about success stories like this. I've personally had wonderful experiences with the mount manufacturer 10Micron. I sent them a description of an intermittent startup problem with my mount on a Friday afternoon, and by Monday afternoon they had released a new firmware version that completely fixed the problem.

At the other end of the spectrum I contacted the manufacturer of one of Martha's sewing machines for some help, and asked to purchase the technical service manual for the machine. Their response: "The contents of our technical service manuals are proprietary and we will not sell them to an end user."

- Mark
Mark M, AJ1B
Portsmouth, RI
Celestron 14" and Meade 10" SCTs
QHY268M + SBIG ST-9
GM2000 (10Micron)
American Association of Variable Star Observers (AAVSO) observer code: MMU
Bruce D
Life Member

Re: Ioptron good service

Unread post by Bruce D »

Frank it's good to hear there are still some companies in the industry that provide great customer service
Bruce D