M96 Spiral Galaxy

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
menardre
Vice President

M96 Spiral Galaxy

Unread post by menardre »

I am trying to finish my tour of the significant galaxies in Leo while it is still relatively high in the night sky. So last night I imaged the spiral galaxy M96. I did this while also using my Nikon to try and capture a Lyrid Meteor.

I setup my 11 inch SCT and ZWO ASI2600 OSC at about 8:30PM. SVX130 and ZWO ASI290 used for autoguiding. The setup for the 11 inch is as follows:
0.8 focal reducer attached to scope. T-Adaptor attached to focal reducer. 5mm spacer attached to T-Adaptor. Manual rotator attached to spacer. Camera attached to rotator. This gives me the correct backspacing for this setup.

I used SGP to manage everything including autoguiding and meridian flip. I decided upon 2 minute images. After about 49 images (and well after a meridian flip), the autoguider stopped guiding due to out-of-focus camera. This was about 11PM. I did not notice this until about 12:45AM when I refocused and continued. I stopped imaging at 2:11 when M96 was below the wall of my observatory. I only was able to acquire 87 images (2 minutes). The 1 hr and 45 minute hiatus caused me to not acquire quite as many lights as I hoped for, but this is a fairly bright object so the result should be decent.

This leads me to thinking about Andy's remote observatory. I cannot imagine imaging completely remote --- seems like I am always fiddling with something.

M96 (NGC 3368) is a spiral galaxy in Leo. It is categorized as a double barred spiral. It is about the same size and mass as our Milky ay galaxy. M96 is a member of the M96 galaxy group which also includes M95 and M105 as well as a number of smaller galaxies.

Roger
M96 Spiral Galaxy.jpg
M96 Spiral Galaxy.jpg (11.31 MiB) Viewed 326 times
Attachments
M96 Master_DBEdiv_EzDN_PCC_ArcSinH_GAME_HTbg_Curves_MLTnr_EzSR_Curves.jpg
M96 Master_DBEdiv_EzDN_PCC_ArcSinH_GAME_HTbg_Curves_MLTnr_EzSR_Curves.jpg (9.56 MiB) Viewed 326 times
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.