Solar eclipse 'diamond ring'

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
menardre
Vice President

Solar eclipse 'diamond ring'

Unread post by menardre »

My wife and I were in Lake Placid for the total eclipse.

I setup my ES80 refractor with a Nikon D7100 DSLR on a iOptron CEM26 mount to do some imaging. I used the technique that I talked about in previous ASSNE meeting to perform a daytime alignment. I started imaging about 10 minutes before first contact and took an exposure every 30 seconds until about 5 minutes after last contact. I actually did exposure bracketing. Tracking was great!! I did not have to make any adjustments throughout the eclipse (until totality anyway) -so I could enjoy viewing the eclipse.

All-in-all I took over 1,500 shots. I plan on producing a time lapse video of the event, but thought that I would share one image --- the 'diamond ring' effect just as the Moon starts moving away from total contact.

Roger
SE9003.jpg
SE9003.jpg (3.31 MiB) Viewed 18430 times
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.
AstroGeek
15+ Years Member

Re: Solar eclipse 'diamond ring'

Unread post by AstroGeek »

That's nice, Roger!!
I look forward to more eclipse discussion on Saturday night.
8)
Steve L
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Re: Solar eclipse 'diamond ring'

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Beautiful image, Roger. That timelapse video should be pretty impressive.

Glad you were able to witness totality.

Tom
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur