Messier 88 Spiral Galaxy

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
menardre
Vice President

Messier 88 Spiral Galaxy

Unread post by menardre »

Finally .... a clear night!

We are about 10 weeks into 2024 and so far I have only been able to image 8 times due to cloudy/rainy weather (or full Moon).

I did get out last night to image Messier 88. I have been wanting to image both M88 and M98 (both in Coma Berenices) for a while. I don't know why both of these escaped me in previous years. They are both well suited for April and fairly impressive spiral galaxies.
I started imaging around 8:30PM, took 141 two minute images (binned 1x1, -10C, gain 100) , and shutdown around 1:45AM using 11 inch SCT and ZWO ASI2600 OSC camera. Tracking was done via PHD2 using Stellarvue 90mm refractor and ZWO AI290 camera. While taking the images I noticed a series of finger-like 'smudges' on each image. They also appeared on the flats that I took. Fortunately, PixInsight was able to remove the smudges. I took apart the image train and found a couple of small smudges, but nothing like what I saw in the images. I cleaned all optics and will run a sample test run (flats) soon. I will also microwave the desiccant tablets just in case it was due to moisture -- but the smudges did not give the appearance of moisture or 'frosting'.

Tracking was good all night (~0.65 arcsec RMS). PixInsight used for image processing using my standard set of processes nothing unusual.

M88 is one of 15 galaxies in the Messier catalog that are part of the Virgo Cluster. It has about 400 billion stars and has a highly included angle making a very nice image. It is bright enough to be seen with 10x50 binoculars under good conditions.

You can see all of my images, along with extensive background at my website (menardastrophotography.com)
Roger
M88.jpg
M88.jpg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 14618 times
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Re: Messier 88 Spiral Galaxy

Unread post by NGC7000 »

That image is strikingly detailed, and very remarkable as that is not the largest of galaxies to work with. Very nice, Roger.

Tom
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Unread post by Pete »

Always impressed with the fine detail that you achieve Roger. I was out myself only to discover that the latest PHD2 version loaded on 31 Mar 2024 no longer communicates with my mount. I'd like to say that every night under the stars is relaxing but sometimes it's just frustrating.
Pete P.
menardre
Vice President

Unread post by menardre »

Tom & Pete

Thanks for your comments.

Pete--- I agree that sometimes astrophotography can be frustrating, but then if it was easy, anyone could do it.

Roger
Roger M.
Celestron CPC1100 EDGE, Stellarvue 130T refractor dual mounted on iOptron CEM120 on permanent pier mounted in Observatory. Imaging camera ZWO ASI2600 OSC, guide camera Lodestar or ZWO ASI290MM.