Stumbling through the Beehive

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Stumbling through the Beehive

Unread post by Pete »

There was a 3/31 update to PHD2, and when attempting to image last week the software wasn’t moving the mount. Camera worked and software ran but the mount didn’t move. “Mount does not support the required pulse guide interface.” There’s a full moon so tonight is the primary objective is fixing guiding.

After more than an hour of trying many camera/mount choices and after plugging and unplugging most cables and after running a cable from the guide camera directly to the scope guide port PHD2 is again making mount connections. Changed so many things I don’t know what corrected the problem. For the record, camera selection was “ASI Camera (1) (ASCOM) and mount selection was Meade Generic (ASCOM). Which I think I was using to start with.

Anyway, with the full moon and with it getting late I slewed to M44.
M44s.jpg
M44s.jpg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 5013 times
Messier 44 - The Beehive Cluster - also known as Praesepe (Latin for "manger", or "crib")
22 Apr 2024 20:12 – 22:24 EDT
47 X 1 min, unbinned, -15°C cooling, 200 gain, 1 Hz guide rate
Explore Scientific 102mm refractor with LP filter and ASI2600MC-P camera

18 of 72 frames were discarded as apparently, I’d reset all guide settings and midway through the imaging session PHD started making major corrections to declination. Proper setting to south correction only fixed this.

Conclusions & lessons learned:

The whole guiding problem may have simply been a dirty connection. Will disconnect camera running from guide camera guide port to scope guide port and hopefully confirm that I’m running on ASCOM once again.

Processing a star field can be an interesting from an aesthetics point of view. To achieve pinpoint stars one loses the fainter stars. So for prints there’s a trade-off as standing back from an 8 ½ X 11 print if stars aren’t big enough you don’t even see them.

-----------------------------------------

The Beehive is an open cluster in the constellation Cancer. At 610 light-years distance, it’s one of the nearest open clusters to Earth, it contains a larger population of stars than other nearby bright open clusters holding around 1,000 stars. Under dark skies, the Beehive Cluster looks like a small nebulous object to the naked eye, and has been known since ancient times.
Pete P.
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Re: Stumbling through the Beehive

Unread post by Apollo XX »

M44 is one of my all-time favorites through binoculars and telescopes at low power! Beautiful job, Pete!

Mike

PS - A few years back I sat at the eyepiece one evening in March and drew what I saw through the eyepiece of a 5" refractor. I'm happy to report that your camera appears to be placing the stars accurately in your images. :lol: :lol: :lol:

M44s.jpg
M44s.jpg (10.06 MiB) Viewed 4212 times
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras